[APA-InfoTech Leaders] Ideas for Webinars

pi at spatiallink.org pi at spatiallink.org
Thu Jul 3 20:13:13 CDT 2008

Thanks Jennifer. Here's what I've come up with from the discussion after
our last conference call:

--- PLAN TECH 101 - Desktop GIS ---

Featuring:
	- QGIS (opensource)
	- ArcGIS (proprietary, $)

Outline:
* Intro to GIS data
	- Vector
	- Raster
	- KML, GML, WMS etc
* How to acquire GIS data - Resources
* How to work with maps - Common tasks
	- Geocoding/Geoprocessing
	- Spatial analyses
	- Editing
	- Printing, publishing
* Intro to spatial databases
* Best practices
* What lies ahead - Industry trends
* Other notable resources - handy tools and hacks

--- PLAN TECH 102 - webGIS ---

Featuring:
	- Mash-Up APIs
		- Google Maps (proprietary, free)
		- ArcWebServices (proprietary, $)
	- Virtual Globes
		- NASA World Wind (opensource)
		- Google Earth and SketchUp (proprietary, free versions)
	- IMS
		- MapServer (opensource)

Outline:
* Intro to webGIS
* How to mash-up
	- Text to maps etc
	- How to use MapMaker, MyMaps and Charts
	- License considerations
* How to use Virtual Globes
	- How to add placemarks, polygons, photographs etc
	- How to georeference photographs
	- How to create network links
	- How to create tours
	- License considerations
	- Other presentation considerations
		- 3D models
* Intro to in-house interactive mapping
	- How to set-up and serve
* Best practices
* What lies ahead - Industry trends
* Other notable resources - handy tools and hacks

--- PLAN TECH 103 - Web 2.0 ---

Outline (we can offer what Planetizen is offering on this topic):

* Intro to Web 2.0
* How to set-up
	- CMSs
		- Blogs and forums
	- Mailing lists
	- webGIS
		- Mash-Ups
* How to use Social Networking
	- YouTube
	- MySpace
	- Facebook
* License considerations
* Intro to Section 508
	- Guidelines
	- Resources
	- Tips
* Best practices
* What lies ahead - Industry trends
* Other notable resources - handy tools and hacks

These webinars would be 60-90 minutes each, instructor-driven
training-type with 2-3 panelists using sample GIS data where applicable.
And to qualify for CM credits, the original purpose, these webinars will
address one or more of the following functional areas while remaining
vendor-neutral:

* Spatial/Suitability analyses - Health analyses; Demographic analyses;
Environmental analyses; Economic analyses and forecasting; Hazard
mitigation and disaster analyses; Crime analyses;
* e-Permitting and zoning systems
* Reporting - Collecting, organizing, analyzing and reporting data;
Quantitative and qualitative research methods;
* Modeling tools - Visioning and goal-setting; Modeling;
* Public participation techniques and e-Government
* Project and program management
* Section 508 accessibility

Happy 4th, Harsh